In modern society, it’s a little bit hard to find someone, who adores writing essays. Unfortunately, most of the students prefer finding simple controversial essay topics on the Internet, instead of creating their own. We are faced with this because it takes a lot of time and energy. There are many types of academic papers, but we want to pay your attention to controversial one. The argumentative (controversial) essay is a genre of writing that requires the student to:
- investigate an issue;
- collect, generate, evaluate evidence;
- establish a position on the topic concisely.
Argumentative writing is the act of forming reasons, making an introduction, drawing conclusions, and applying them to the case in discussion. It explains the process of your reasoning from the known or assumed to the unknown. Without doing this you do not argue, you have only an assertion, an essay that is just your unsubstantiated opinion.
But how to write that kind of essay? It becomes very easy when you know the way of its organization; we highly recommend you to organize the argumentative essays in the following manner:
- Have a clear, concise, defined thesis statement and explain why readers should care about the issue.
- Review the literature critically about that phenomenon.
- Consist of an introduction, main body, and
- Present two sides of a single issue and covers the most important arguments for and against.
Learn more about controversial essay topics. Arm yourself with patience
As we live in a society, that is surrounded by crime, economic and ecological problems, we have many themes to discuss. For instance, animal testing, climate change, alternative energy, concealed guns, school and college education, the death penalty, drinking age and illegal immigration. But a guarantee of success, controversial essay topics is in those problems, which are currently being debated by society; current controversial issues; themes that people talk about.
Obviously, selecting a topic that is debatable is a key to creating an effective speech. The argumentative essay topics should not be something which is already proven or would require an enormous leap of faith or logic in order to convince the audience. The speaker should possess a strong interest, have a deeply-held opinion on the subject and make the audience listen to him. In the other case, his arguments will probably not come across as believable to the audience. You should be careful to pick the topic, which you feel prepared to reinforce with a strong argument, where you find yourself.
We intend to make this process easy for you. Arm yourself with patience and keep reading; before considering a speech theme, ask yourself these three questions:
- Am I good on this topic?
- Is this the most interesting problem for me?
- Does my audience care about this topic?
Imagine you have an encyclopedia full of the argumentative thesis. Based on the answers to three questions above, you can discard all unnecessary statements and choose the golden one!
The best controversial essay topics to pick
The fact that we have too many problems to discuss nowadays is obvious, that’s why it’s not hard to find an interesting topic for your argumentative paper. Brainstorm a list of subjects. Don’t censor yourself. It can be anything that you could talk about, or that you’ve ever heard of someone talking about. We want to simplify your life and give you a list of controversial essays topics; you can dedicate your paper to such problems:
1.Business (Stress in the workplace, is it normal? Not everything new is better, yet eschewing every change runs the risk of becoming obsolete);
2.Constitution (Is the law in the constitution equal to everybody? Torture is an acceptable measure to prevent terrorism; Constitutional problems with international courts);
3.Economy (Illegal immigrants are cheap labor; Is economy growing? What to produce and in what quantities?);
4.Education (Should children have sex education? Increasing access to education can improve the overall health and longevity of a society, grow economies, and even combat climate change; Having no teacher, or having an untrained teacher);
5. Environment (Acid rain occurs due to the presence of certain pollutants in the atmosphere. Clean drinking water is becoming a rare commodity. Urban sprawl refers to migration of population from high-density urban areas to low-density rural areas which result in spreading of city over more and more rural land);
Find more themes
6. Ethics (Using animals for scientific research is inhumane; Inequality in access to health care; Increase in terrorism and wars);
7.Family (Should parents beat their children? One divorce occurs every 36 seconds in America; Families face major challenges—everything from depression and anxiety to substance abuse and medical problems);
8. Food and Drink (The inability to access sufficient amounts of food is an issue that plagues populations globally; Food and agriculture is at the heart of our civilizations);
9. Government (What is the next major political challenge in the word? Lack of political freedom and political instability; Government accountability and transparency, and corruption);
10.Health (What can be done to assist teenagers in maintaining a healthy weight?
Alzheimer’s disease affects cognitive function of the brain, and is more common in females than in males; AIDS, having originated from chimpanzees, is already a global pandemic);
11. International Politics. Will international politics be even more volatile this year because of an “unusually wide constellation of leaders known for their erratic behavior?”. On the whole, is their justice for all?);
12.Media (The level of inaccuracy noticed is even higher when the public has first-hand knowledge of a news story; Media outlets are investing less in the quality of what they do).
Now you know a lot of staff about the structure of the argumentative paper and controversial essay topics. So, pick the subject that is the most suitable for you and start your masterpiece. For beginners, we want to add that almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere by getting something – anything – down on paper. Now you know how to pick the winning controversial essay topics.